New CPS Data Released
The Arizona Department of Economic Security recently released new information on Arizona’s abused and neglected children. This report covers Child Protective Services data from October 2012 to July 2013.
• 14,000 children are still in foster care, a record number that was reached last year
• More than 25% of the cases assigned for investigation during the second half of 2012 remain open as of July 2013.
• While CPS staff caseloads are still much too high, significant progress has been made towards lowering these caseloads since the last report in March of 2013.
• The percentage of children placed with relatives has increased and the percentage placed with foster homes has decreased.
• The number of children entering out-of-home care for at least the second time in the last 2 years has increased.
Although some progress is being made, the system is not able to meet the demands to protect children. Children’s Action Alliance continues to work with DES, community partners, and state legislators to enhance the focus on family support and prevent the need for foster care in many cases.